TonyTalbot

Nicholas Nickleby
Charles Dickens, Mark Ford

2/5: The Colour of Death

The Colour of Death - Michael Cordy

A woman with total amnesia and synaesthesia (The mixing of senses - colour as smell, touch as hearing, etc) falls into the care of a psychologist, Nathan Fox. Together, they unlock her amnesia and ease their own painful pasts.

For a book that started out with an interesting premise - synaesthesia - this fell apart very quickly. Cordy seems to have no idea what 'pacing' means, and the book is the same speed all the way through - generally, books accelerate as they reach the climax, but not this one. The pacing was constant, and at times it crawled.

The characters were two dimensional, and the villain a cardboard cut-out of a monster. Plot twists were easy to guess fifty pages before the reveal. Dialogue was clunky and clichéd. I mean who says to someone else in the last years of the 20th century (the setting), "Come." and not "Come on.". Who says, "Stop them, you fools!" and expects to be taken seriously?

Cordy's research into synaesthesia is solid enough (I asked my wife, who has it, and she agreed), but in other places it falls down. NO ONE puts tape around a body in a murder scene!