2055 Followers

TonyTalbot

Nicholas Nickleby
Charles Dickens, Mark Ford

Bleak House

Bleak House - Charles Dickens, Hablot Knight Browne, Nicola Bradbury I read this in probably the worst way, in 30 or 40 minute bursts at lunchtime and a chapter or two at night. And knowing it was a long book, I also read two books from the library in quick succession in between so I could get them back and get back to it! So I don't think I gave it a fair chance. There are a LOT of characters to keep track of, and even the minor ones have some role to play at some point, so reading it like that was to my disadvantage.There's also a lot of plots weaving and spinning themselves together, sometimes not always obviously. For me, it didn't really kick into a higher gear until the closing 10 or so chapters, when they all started to come together.And the ending was halfway through a sentence, which really threw me. It feels like I missed something.So, not my favourite Dickens so far. That's still a tie between David Copperfield and A Tale of Two Cities.I liked the device of the female narrator, Esther, who was apparently universally worshipped by everyone apart from Mrs Guppy. And the ending was so sweet! No wonder another author called Mr John Jarndyce "the kindest man in fiction." Who else could so easily give away the woman he loves to another man and not resent him for it?