TonyTalbot

TonyTalbot

Nicholas Nickleby
Charles Dickens, Mark Ford

An Agoraphobic's Guide to Hollywood: How Michael Jackson Got Me Out of the House - Darlene Craviotto Darlene Craviotto was handed a dream job: write a movie starring Michael Jackson and directed by Steven Spielberg. By clever juxtapositions of her frantic family life (2 young kids and a husband, her battles with agoraphobia) against the isolation of Michael Jackson and the strangeness of Hollywood, Craviotto lets us into a bizarre world, one we'd never normally see. The private life of one of the biggest artists of the 20th century, good and bad, and the creative process of making a film from scratch - essentially with a very damaged man who still thought like an eight year old boy, but also at times a shrewd business man, are covered with briskness and a genuine warmth.I was thinking at one point, as I read this, of Citizen Kane - condemned by his succes to locked inside a prison of his popularity. Craviotto was locked inside by agoraphobia; Jackson was locked inside by fame. But at the end of the day, she had family to go back to, and Jackson had no one but his own fantasies. A short read - I finished it in a few hours - but a fascinating one.